Walk the Walk

During June and July 2006, Amy Banson will walk 1,463 km from Brisbane to Canberra. This charity walk is in support of people with brain injury and their families. Her goal is to raise awareness about Aquired Brain Injury (ABI), and to raise money to provide respite care for people living with ABI.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Amy's diary entry 15

It is now day 51 and it is up to Brian and I to see the walk through. The two remaining battlers.

Even though our numbers have significantly dwindled, our determination is still strong as ever and my legs are far from wanting to call it quits. One of my toe nails fell off the other day but these things happen.

We had a lunch at the Liverpool Hospital a couple of days ago where we were able to meet patients with ABI and many members of the staff. It was great to hear an ex-patient speak of his experiences at the hospital after the accident that caused him to be left with a brain injury. He made a great point that while parents need a break from taking care of their child, that child needs a break from being taken cared of by them too! Very light hearted yet also very touching. I was presented with a bunch of flowers and 'an energy pack' they called it. This energy pack turned out to be a huge box of choccies, marshmallows, toffee and more. Whooshka's eyes lit up like never before!

After back to back interviews we made it to Liverpool and over to our accomodation. Usually sharing a room with Whoosh isn't a problem - considering he doesn't snore. The only thing that lessens the chance of a snore free night is a lack of beverages. Well after five window-shattering 'WHOOOOSHKA!! STOP SNORING!!!!' screams I think he got the hint. The fifth one would have been around 5am, so as you can imagine I wasn't the happiest chappie the next day. Ah well, it was a rest day. I ate chocolate and got my hair done. I spent the afternoon looking like a girl again, not smelling and actually wearing clean clothes.

It was a long day today. It was one of those days where I wasn't quite here nor there. I don't think I had a worthwhile thought all day, I was just in my zone, walking walking. It's not like there's nothing to think about - quite the opposite actually, but sometimes it helps to just switch off all together and get into the walking rythm. It took over five hours without breaks to walk from Liverpool to Camden, but it was a nice suprise to be greeted by Pat Farmer to walk with me to our hotel! It was great to talk to Pat about the walk and about his runs, similar difficulties we have encounted and to share funny stories.

Something we both found was the need to stay disciplined. There has been so many times throughout the walk when I have just wanted to keep going through to the next town rather than stop and wait until the following day. I have had so many thoughts about pushing through Canberra and just keep on walking. It's hard to make yourself stop sometimes but really, at the end of the day, it's not a race and it's not to 'see how far I can get'. Also it's not over! I have walked from Brisbane to Sydney, but still have to walk from Sydney to Canberra!

4 Comments:

  • At 7:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was great to read and a credit to you after walking so far,It must have been great to meet Pat Farmer, such a high profile politician I am sure you would have learnt a lot from him.I am extremely proud of and have so much admiration for what you are doing and look forward to seeing you in Canberra.

     
  • At 7:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have listened to the journey through Graeme Gilbert and I met Amy & Brian at Wallabadah, she is a delightful young lady and doing a fantastic job,and Brian appears to be like a rock and a champ of a man, living in Willow Tree you dont get to meet such great people very often so I hope you people visit us again.

     
  • At 7:25 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heard on on radio in Wollongong this morning and had a great laugh ,it seemed like you knew Marty and Erica ,I had not heard of the walk before but what you have done is fantastic.Next time come through Wollongong !

     
  • At 6:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dear army
    you are doing a good jod with the walk. go on you it is had to do I know I have walked 40kms in a day to help the Rspca and outward bourd to Thankyou for helping in vecory from I inteall headingory
    My name is Adam McKay in 15 jan 03 i was hit by a car on tuggs.I had to rebuit my life again it hads been a long road back. I would like to meet you back back in canbrrea I live in Canbrrea I will be at civi to see you finish. My email is addsy123@hotmail.com please write to me all the best Adam GOD BLESSING to you

     

Post a Comment

<< Home