Walk the Walk

During June and July 2006, Amy Banson will walk 1,463 km from Brisbane to Canberra. This charity walk is in support of people with brain injury and their families. Her goal is to raise awareness about Aquired Brain Injury (ABI), and to raise money to provide respite care for people living with ABI.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Amy's diary entry 17

With Canberra number plates everywhere and familiar sights I can feel the end drawing nearer. How exciting. I think I'm a bit nervous actually!

Brian and I had a wonder through Morton National Park the other day and threw some coins onto the wishing well. I spoke to the lady at the front desk about joining WIRES (wildlife rescue team) and it sounds like an awesome idea. I would have loved to look after Wally in my home!

We were invited to attend and speak at the opening of the Transitional Living Unit in Goulburn Hospital along with the Mayor, staff from the hospital, staff from my Uni and members of the NBIF in Canberra. It was great seeing familiar faces, especially Dorothy, Ken and Pauline, who were the first people to help me with the Walk With a Rose project. It was a beautiful ceremony with the ribbon being cut by man with ABI who had been at the hospital for a couple of years. I hadn't actually walked into Goulburn yet at that stage and when I did the next day they all came out a couple of k's and walked in with me. The Goulburn radio had reminders about our arrival every hour that day, so it was definitely a warm and well known reception!

We were taken to have a little peek around Goulburn gaol yesterday arvo. There sure is a strange feeling about that place! Lots of people with big toys on high walls with razor wires and motion sensors. The guys working there were really informative and more than happy to answer all our questions...some of which we didn't really want to know the answers to! We all decided we'd be good.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so proud of you and what you have acieved ,you will never realise how many and how much people admire you ,you are a great young lady.THANKYOU for what you have done for so so many people.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home